Monday, January 7, 2008

A Bounty of Vanilla - What to do?

One of my favourite spices is vanilla, with it's heady sweet aroma. One vanilla pod is a bounty indeed, only to be surpassed by...

A fistful of vanilla beans! Thanks to Rocio's recent trip back to Mexico, I now have 156 vanilla beans.

While I needed to count them to truly understand the magnitude of the bounty before me, my thoughts quickly turned to what to do with them all.

First up vanilla sugar, which is simply a couple of vanilla beans (usually ones that are used for another application and wiped clean) slit in half, the seeds scraped out and all placed in a jar with sugar. Leave it for a few weeks then use as needed. It can be whipped into a little cream to make a great chantilly cream, or used in place of normal sugar in baking sweet pastries or cakes to add a great hint of vanilla.

My question to you is what to do? If you have any suggestions, let me know!

3 comments:

alicepawley said...

OH MY GOD. I know what you can do with them - GIVE ME SOME. ;-) Wow, what luxury!!!

Llewellyn said...

But of course, we need to collate recipes and cook! I want to know what though.

Anonymous said...

Give me some too Llew. Vuong